Installing the Vanguard Web Client
How do I run the Vanguard remote?
Why doesn't the Vanguard webpage load on my Windows XP computer?
When you use the internet viewing feature of Vanguard, you need to install a remote client which is provided through X10's Vanguard service. To connect remotely, go to gate.x10.com in the Internet Explorer web browser on a Windows PC.
When you first open up the website you see a blank, black window while the Vanguard Remote loads.
If you are running Windows XP Service Pack 2, it may show a notice that a download was blocked.
You will need to tell Internet Explorer to allow the Vanguard Remote client to load before the remote client software will work.
- Click the Information Bar to open the Information Bar Menu.
- Click "Install ActiveX Control..." to allow the Vanguard Remote client to be opened.
You will then be asked if you want to install a plugin from 'X10 Wireless Technology Inc.' Select "Install."
The remote client is a large file; it may take some time to open depending on your internet connection. Allow the Vanguard remote to load. Once it has, the Vanguard screen shows up in your browser window with a login prompt.
- Double check that the remote computer is running Microsoft Windows operating system. This and Internet Explorer are needed to view http://gate.x10.com/.
- Are ActiveX controls enabled in your web browser? This is necessary for accessing images through http://gate.x10.com/.
- Please make sure you are logged in as a Power User or Administrator and have authorization to install or run the Vanguard Control Center Remote application. Even though it runs in your web browser, Vanguard Control Center Remote installs a small program on your computer.