MyHouse Online Remote Connection Setup
Are there start to finish first time remote user setup and viewing instructions?
Setting Up User Configuration
The first step in using MyHouse to access your ActiveHome Pro system over the Internet is setting up user access. You can give each person with which you want to share access to ActiveHome Pro their own password and access level. Open the User Configuration window from the MyHouse menu to create users and manage access.
ActiveHome Pro System ID
The ActiveHome Pro System ID is used by Remote Users to identify the MyHouse Service to which the ActiveHome Pro System connects. Every remote user will need to know the System ID along with their Login ID and password.
User Access Control
Only users given login identification and password information can access your ActiveHome Pro system remotely. You can set up individual users with different settings, or use one login for groups of people. User access controls work regardless of which ActiveHome Pro data file you use.
When you first load MyHouse, the user list is empty. To add a user, click the Add button. This creates a user called "New User." In the Login ID box, change the name to the one you want to add. Enter a password for this user in the Password box.
Start the connection to the MyHouse Service. From the MyHouse menu, choose "Connect to MyHouse Service" to make your software available online. (If it says "Disconnect from MyHouse Service" instead, you are already connected.) You can select "Connect on Program Startup" in the MyHouse menu to make sure the connection to the MyHouse Service starts every time you start ActiveHome Pro.
When you use the internet viewing feature of MyHouse Online, you need to install a remote client which is provided through X10's MyHouse service. To connect remotely, go to myhouse.x10.com in the Internet Explorer web browser on a Windows PC.
When you first open up the website you see a blank, black window while the MyHouse Online Remote loads.
If you are running Windows XP Service Pack 2, it may show a notice that a download was blocked.
You will need to tell Internet Explorer to allow the MyHouse Online Remote client to load before the remote client software will work.
- Click the Information Bar to open the Information Bar Menu.
- Click "Install ActiveX Control..." to allow the MyHouse Online Remote client to be opened.
You will then be asked if you want to install the 'MyHouse Plugin for Activehome Pro' from 'X10 Wireless Technology Inc.' Select "Install."
The remote client is a large file; it may take some time to open depending on your internet connection. Allow the MyHouse Plug-in for Activehome Pro to load. Once it has, the ActiveHome Pro screen shows up in your browser window with a login prompt.
- Double check that the remote computer is running Microsoft Windows operating system. This and Internet Explorer are needed to view http://myhouse.x10.com/.
- Are ActiveX controls enabled in your web browser? This is necessary for accessing images through http://myhouse.x10.com/. You can go here to see if ActiveX is enabled: http://www.pcpitstop.com/testax.asp Look here for information on how to enable ActiveX: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/settings/settings-28.html
- Please make sure you are logged in as a Power User or Administrator and have authorization to install or run the MyHouse Remote application. Even though it runs in your web browser, MyHouse Remote installs a small program on your computer.
- If you are trying to test your MyHouse Server, please be aware that other PCs on the same Internet connection (e.g. using the same DSL or cable connection) may not be able to connect to the MyHouse Server or get video, even if everything is set up correctly.
- If you are running Internet Explorer 8, you may only see a portion of the browser. If this happens, just hold your mouse at the lower right corner of the window then click and drag to resize it a little. You should now see the full browser.