Using the Video Calling System AOL AIM Video Instant Messanger
Why Am I Having Problems Getting Video IM to Work on My Computer?
You may need an upgraded Windows XP component to operate in conjunction with Video IM.
To use Video IM users may need an updated component of the Windows XP Operating System.
Here’s how to upgrade for use with Video IM:
1. First, completely sign out of AIM and any other programs running on your computer.
2. Click here to download the file for use together with Video IM.
3. When the download is complete, click Open or Run the program from its current location.
4. Follow the instructions on screen to install.
5. When installation is complete the program will be loaded but invisible and running in the background.
6. Restart your computer and launch AIM to enjoy Video IM.
Could you be behind a firewall?
You may be behind a firewall built into most home networks or broadband routers and not realize it.
Firewall software may be used by your Internet Service Provider, your company, your Windows XP operating system, or even in the hardware in your home that connects you to the Internet. If you have a home network or a broadband router, there is likely a firewall built into it.
If either you, or the person you want to Video IM with are behind a firewall and are having problems getting Video IM to operate, work with your Internet Service Provider, your company’s system administrator or modify your firewall software yourself to open ports 1024 through 5000. Once these ports are opened, Video IM should work if no other issues exist.
It could be your router.
Routers are devices used by your Internet Service Provider, or installed in your home network, to distribute Internet connections. A wide variety of routers will work with Video IM.
Below is a list of popular routers that work with Video IM in their default configuration. (minimal setup is needed)
Most other routers will also work, however, if yours does not, please report it to AOL with this link.
Also, be sure to follow the instructions above to install components to work with Video IM.
Remember, both you and the person you want to Video IM with may need to ensure your routers are not blocking Video IM.