ScanPad Remote Control Setup
The following instructions cover the setup of the CR12A Remote Control. The CR12A is a modified version of the HR12A Palm Pad. It has been designed to allow you to scan through the Unit code groups available with XCam systems.
The setup below will entail configuring a CR12A to control four cameras assigned to House codes A and Units 1 through 4. It is assumed that all cameras and the Transceiver have already been properly configured. Common questions are covered at the end of this document.
Configuring The CR12A
- Insert four AAA batteries into the CR12A's battery compartment.
- Set the House code dial to "A." The dial is located in the bottom left corner of the remote.
- Set the Unit Selection Switch to "1-8." The switch is located in the bottom right corner of the remote.
- Press one of the ON or OFF buttons. You should see the LED at the top of the remote blink. This confirms the remote is operating.
- To turn on a specific camera, press the ON button in the row corresponding to the unit number of the camera (row 1 controls Unit 1, row 2 controls Unit 2, etc.). If the Unit Selection Switch is set to "9-16," the top row is unit 9, the second is 10, and so on.
Four Camera Scanning
- To scan through the four cameras currently set to units 1 through 4, move the CR12A's Unit Selection Switch to "1-8."
- Press the ON button for camera 1. Camera 1 appears on the television.
- Press the blue UP button. A moment later, camera 1 turns off and camera 2 turns on.
- Press the UP button once more. Camera 3 is now transmitting.
- Cycle through the cameras using the UP and DOWN buttons. Notice that when camera 4 is currently on and the UP button is pressed, camera 1 turns on. Likewise, when camera 1 is on and the DOWN button is pressed, camera 4 turns on.
- Change the Unit codes on all of the camera's Addressable Power Supplies to units 5 through 8.
- Press the UP and DOWN buttons again. Notice that the cameras do not respond.
- To change the rotation group to 5-8, press and hold the ON button for unit 5.
- While holding the ON button down, move the Unit Selection Switch to the "9-16" position and then return it to the "1-8" position.
- Release the ON button.
- Send the ON command for unit 5. Camera 5 turns on.
- Press the UP and DOWN buttons. The CR12A cycles the cameras now set to 5 through 8.
- To configure the remote to cycle units 1 through 4 again, press and hold the ON button for unit 1.
- Move the Unit Selection Switch to the "9-16" position, and then return it to the "1-8" position.
- Release the ON button.
- To configure the remote to cycle units 9 through 12 or 13 through 16, move the Unit Selection Switch to the "9-16" position.
- Press and hold the ON button for unit 9 or 13, depending on which Unit code group you wish to control.
- Move the Unit Selection Switch to the "1-8" position and then return it to the "9-16" position.
- Release the ON button.
If an ON or OFF button is pressed for a unit not in the current code group, any X10 module set to that code will turn on or off. If the UP or DOWN button is then pressed, the module will brighten or dim (this feature only affects Lamp or Wall Switch Modules).
Frequently Asked Questions
I've configured the CR12A but it does not switch the cameras automatically. It only works each time I press the UP or DOWN buttons. Is the remote broken?
- No, the remote is not broken. The reference to switching automatically means the remote keeps track of which camera to turn on next when the UP or DOWN button is pressed. The use of the word automatically does not mean that the remote will switch to the next camera after a certain amount of time (i.e. every 5 seconds).
If I have 3 cameras set to 1, 2, and 3; what will happen when I scan up from camera 3 or down from camera 1?
- When scanning up from camera 3, the CR12A will transmit the ON command for camera 4. Camera 3 will turn off. Since camera 4 does not exist, no camera will transmit; therefore, you will not see an image on your television. Pressing the UP button once more will turn on camera 1. A similar result will occur when scanning down from camera 1. The only difference is the direction of camera scanning.
Can the Scan buttons on the CR12A be used to cycle through a group of Lamp or Appliance modules that are all set to one of the Unit code groups?
- Yes, the CR12A transmits the ON command for the four Unit codes within the given group. The Lamp or Appliance modules that are currently on will not turn off when the Scan buttons are used because Lamp and Appliance modules do not have the Unit code group feature. They will need to be turned off individually.
I wish to scan through more than 4 cameras. Do you have any remotes that can handle this requirement?
- Yes. We have the CR13A Camera Remote Control, which can scan through a consecutive number of cameras; i.e., 1 through 5 or 1 through 12, etc.