Setting Up and Learning with VCR Commander
Why won't the VCR Commander learn the commands from my remote?
How do I make the VCR Commander work?
How do I program my VCR Commander?
Follow the instructions below to setup your VCR Commander.
- Unplug the Infrared cable from the VCR Commander, and grab your VCR remote and motion sensor.
- Press and hold the "Power" button on the VCR Commander until the red light is solid (it flashes 13 times). This clears the unit of any previously learned codes.
- Press and hold the "Record" button on the VCR Commander until the light is solid; then release. This puts the Commander into learning mode.
- Press and release "Record" on the VCR Commander (it begins flashing 8 times; then the light is solid).
- Press "Record" on your VCR remote (holding it no further than 1/4" away from eye on back of commander).
- When it learns the Record function, the light on the Commander will flash off and come back on solid.
- Press and release "Stop" on the VCR Commander (it flashes 8 times; then remains solid).
- Press "Stop" on the VCR remote (holding it no further than 1/4" away from the eye on back of the VCR Commander).
- When it learns the Stop function, the light on the Commander will flash off once and come back on solid.
- Wait until this light goes out before doing anything else (should take 10 seconds).
- IF THE VCR COMMANDER FLICKERS AND GOES OUT DURING PROGRAMMING, BEGIN AGAIN AT STEP TWO
- NOTE: when you're done programming the VCR Commander, it defaults to HOME mode. (This is not on the printed instructions!) In HOME more, the VCR Commander will not signal your VCR to record when the motion sensor is triggered. The indicator is: the motion sensor triggers, then the VCR Commander goes into a cycle of beeping 8 times, then silence, then beeping, then silence. You will need to set it to AWAY mode before testing or normal operation: Hold down the STOP button until the LED shows solid.
To clear the VCR Commander of Motion Sensor radio frequency codes and start from scratch:
- Press and hold "Play" on the VCR Commander until the red light is solid.
- Press and release "Play" (the light goes out).
Learn the radio frequency Motion Sensor code(s):
- Press and hold "Play" on the VCR Commander until its light is solid.
- Press House/On, wave your hand in front of the motion sensor, or push a button on an X10 remote control that sends an ON command for the same the House and Unit code as the motion sensor.
- Plug in the Infrared emitter cable, and position 1 of the 3 emitters 1/2 inch to the left or right of the VCR Infrared Input. (Only use one of them.)
- Press and release "Stop" on the VCR Commander. If the light on the Commander is out, it is in Home mode. To switch modes, press and hold the "Stop" button; when the light becomes solid, release. It should now be in Away mode and ready. The Commander should flash every 1-1.5 seconds. When motion is detected, if the VCR is not triggered to record, re-position the emitter, and press and release "Stop" on the Commander again.
- Detach the IR emitter cable.
- Attach the D9100 power supply to the UX23A and plug it into a standard outlet. You may also insert 4 "C" size batteries if desired. We recommend installing the backup batteries as they will preserve the programming if the power goes out.
Programming the IR Codes
You will require your existing VCR remote control to perform the following steps.
- Position your VCR's remote control no more than an inch away from the clear, IR target located on the back of the UX23A.
- Aim the remote at the Infrared target and hold the RECORD button on your VCR's remote. You will hear one beep, and the LED on the UX23A will go out and immediately come back on.
- Press and release the "Stop" button on the UX23A. The UX23A will begin beeping and the LED will flash approximately seven times and remain solid. Note: Do not wait more than five seconds between steps 5 and 7.
- Position your VCR's remote control no more than an inch away from the clear, IR (Infrared) target located on the back of the UX23A
- Aim the remote at the Infrared target and hold the STOP button on your VCR's remote. You will hear one beep, and the LED on the UX23A will go out and immediately come back on.
- Allow the UX23A to time out. This will take approximately ten seconds. The IR programming of your UX23A is complete.
Programming the Radio Frequency (Motion Sensor) Codes
- Program each Motion Sensor to the desired House/Unit code. Click here for more detailed instructions on Motion Sensors.
- Push and hold the "Play" button on the UX23A until the LED on it illuminates.
- Push and release the "House/On" button on your first Motion Sensor. You will hear one beep and the LED on the UX23A will go out.
- Program the remaining three Motion Sensors by following steps 2 and 3 for each one.
- Verify the VCR is powered on and insert a blank tape.
- Send any one of the four programmed RF codes. Your VCR will record for five minutes unless another programmed RF command is received from a motion sensor (at which point the five minute counter will reset and VCR will continue recording).
Key Topics: ir, learn, command, commander, play, stop, record, remote, infrared
Relates to: UX21A, UX23A